Followers

Saturday, 23 August 2014

Deep Breath.. (brief) SPOILERS for Doctor Who

Well I'll be honest, Doctor Who was hit-and-miss for me. The plot was *very* thin, and it wasn't until the end the Capaldi felt like the Doctor. But he does feel like it at the end, and that's the main thing.
The new mystery could go either way- good or bad, and hopefully doesn't introduce us to another River Song (my money's on Mystery Lady being Rani) and I REALLY wish Clara would disappear into Time and Space. Sorry but I'm not a fan. And I spent a large chunk of the episode wondering if she'd suffered a blow to the head, as Clara seemed to have forgotten then very nature of who the Doctor is and the Regeneration process. I mean, she did supposedly travel through the Doctor's entire timeline, she KNEW he Regenerated, and yet her reaction (over the top) was one of betrayal. I know it's the writing but c'mon, consistency would be quite nice.

On the whole it was a little underwhelming. I'm of the firm opinion that Steven Moffat can write intriguing stories, but can't showrun Who worth a damn.

I AM looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi as the now fully Doctor, Doctor though.

*Edit* My comment on the SFX website's review. Because I thought it was more coherent.

High points;
- The Doctor's "entrance" at the end saving Clara. THAT was the Doctor.
- The heroic entrance of Vastra, Strax and Jenny.
- MATT!!!!!

And then there was the rest of it. Even including NEW, new viewers, it felt like the writers were ramming it down our throats that Capaldi was still the Doctor. Which I really hope isn't going to be a thing they do every time this character regenerates. Please just stop.
And I still don't really like Clara. Yes she showed she had some balls in the captive scene, but it doesn't excuse the characters loss of memory regarding the Doctor's very nature. I don't remember her having a scene where she forgets she's known the Doctor throughout his lives. But I could be wrong. So much time has passed since I saw the Trenzalore episode, maybe the Doctor DID wipe her memory? I just don't like her. I don't *care* about her like I probably should. But maybe I'm just tired of the whole "most important girl in the universe" shtick.

And I still don't really like Clara. Yes she showed she had some balls in the captive scene, but it doesn't excuse the characters loss of memory regarding the Doctor's very nature. I don't remember her having a scene where she forgets she's known the Doctor throughout his lives. But I could be wrong. So much time has passed since I saw the Trenzalore episode, maybe the Doctor DID wipe her memory? I just don't like her. I don't *care* about her like I probably should. But maybe I'm just tired of the whole "most important girl in the universe" shtick.And I still don't really like Clara. Yes she showed she had some balls in the captive scene, but it doesn't excuse the characters loss of memory regarding the Doctor's very nature. I don't remember her having a scene where she forgets she's known the Doctor throughout his lives. But I could be wrong. So much time has passed since I saw the Trenzalore episode, maybe the Doctor DID wipe her memory? I just don't like her. I don't *care* about her like I probably should. But maybe I'm just tired of the whole "most important girl in the universe" shtick.Like

No comments:

Post a Comment